To Play a Sport in High School:
- Students must have earned 6 credits (passed 6 classes) by the end of the school year (this includes summer school) in order to be eligible to play Fall and Winter sports. In order to play Spring sports, students must have passed 6 credits (6 classes) during the 1st semester (1 st & 2 nd marking period).
- All Freshman are eligible to play Fall and Winter seasons (eligibility for Spring sports depends on whether they earned passing grades in at least 6 classes during the 1st semester).
- A student is only allowed 8 consecutive semesters of athletic eligibility. Therefore, no 5th year student is eligible.
- A student must be 18 years of age or younger prior to September 1st. If a student turns 19 after September 1st, they are ineligible.
- Check with your guidance counselor if you are unsure about your eligibility status.
For information on playing a sport in college, please refer to the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) website :
What is the NCAA?
The NCAA, or National Collegiate Athletic Association, wasestablished in 1906 and serves as the athletics governing body for morethan 1,300 colleges, universities, conferences and organizations forathletics eligibility and athletics competition for each of the threeNCAA divisions.
The NCAA Eligibility Center will certify theacademic and amateur credentials of all college-bound student-athleteswho wish to compete in NCAA Division I or II athletics.
Eligibility Center Contact Information
NCAA Eligibility Center:
P.O. Box 7136
Indianapolis, IN 46207-7136
Eligibility Center customer service
Representatives are available from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.,Eastern time,
Monday through Friday.
U.S. callers (toll free): 877/262-1492